I have been seeing yarn wreaths all over bloggy land and I absolutely love them all!
I decided it was about time for me to make my own.
It turned out rather nice, don't you think?
I figured they were probably pretty easy to make, so I didn't use any particular tutorial to make mine. I just did it the way I figured would work.
So, here's what I did:
First, I got a wreath form. When I went to the store, they were out of styrofoam forms (it must be wreath season or something!), but I did find this straw wreath for only about $3.
I left the plastic on it to hold all that straw in.
Next, I gathered the tools: Yarn and glue.
I don't know if other people have used glue to hold their yarn down, but it seemed like that would work best, especially with the plastic.
I started out by putting a good amount of glue directly on the wreath.
I smeared that glue around with my finger (because that is the funnest way to spread glue) and stuck one end of the yarn to the wreath. (P.S. I just put glue on one side, not all the way around.)
Then I started wrapping it.
It was at about this point that I realized it would probably be easier to wrap the yarn if it was wound up in a ball instead of in the skein. So, I took a little break and made that big skein into about 5 smaller balls. That was much, much easier to wrap with.
I wrapped and wrapped and wrapped and wrapped until I had covered the whole thing.
It became apparent that one round of wrapping wasn't going to cover the wreath adequately.
I mean, look at all those holes!
The wreath was going to get cold.
So, I wrapped and glued and wrapped and glued and wrapped and glued again.
Doesn't it look much more cozy? (Ignore that one little hole at the bottom. I don't know how that happened!)
And, I was worried the glue would make the yarn stiff, but I didn't use a ton so it worked out perfectly. The wreath is nice and soft and, yes, even huggable.
Next, I needed some embellishment.
I searched all over for ideas and finally I came across this post over at A Pretty Life in the Suburbs.
I knew right away that those were the flowers I wanted! And, wahoo!...there was a tutorial.
I used felt and followed her tutorial. It was quick and easy and before I knew it (well, not really before I knew it...it only took about half an hour) I was surrounded by pretty flowers.
mmmmmm. They make me happy.
I pulled out my hot glue gun and arranged those pretty flowers nicely on my cozy wreath.
I think it gave it just the touch it needed (and also it covered up that rogue hole!).
I really like that yellow one that is sitting there saying, "I don't quite fit in with these other guys, but I don't care because I'm bold and bright and pretty all on my own."
We should all think more like that.
My door is happy now and nice and ready for fall.
Special thanks to Jo-Anna for the tutorial! Go give her blog a visit and some love.
I will be linking this project up at my usual hangouts!