Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Dehydrated Apples with Cinnamon

My sister, Erin, is a homemaking genius.  She has worked very hard to become so and I feel like she could teach me a great deal.  If she didn't live so far from me, I would go to her house daily and learn at her feet.

Her blog, The Blessed Life, is a nice place.  She has a lot to share and she makes me happy.  Check it out if you have time.  She just had a baby, so it may be a little slow there for a while, but there is still a lot of good to see!

My point is, she should probably be posting this since she is the one who introduced me to it.

Still, I'm very excited about it and I want to share my little accomplishment.

These apples were on their way out.
They weren't bad yet, but they were thinking about it.  

You know, hanging out with the wrong crowd...

So, here's what I did with them.

First, get a cold water bath ready for them and add to it a generous amount of lemon juice.

Now, peel them an core them.
Do you have one of these?  They're marvelous.  I love mine.  And, I feel super cool whenever I use it.  
That right there is a good reason to buy it, right?

Once they're peeled and cored, drop them in the cold water and let them soak a bit.
This will help keep them white instead of brown.

Next, I laid them out on my dehydrator tray and sprinkled them with cinnamon.
Mmmmm.  

I put them in the dehydrator, turned it on, and enjoyed the smell for the rest of the day!

P.S.  I have an Excaliber dehydrator...in case you were wondering.

Here's what they looked like at the end of the day.

I wish you could taste them...or at least smell them.
They're gone though.  My kids and husband (and maybe me a little) ate them all up!

I'm linking this up at these great parties!

9 comments:

Erin said...

I would also like to add that you don't have to throw away the peels. You can toss them in cinnamon and sugar and dehydrate them, too. I've also baked them in a low temp oven (for about 3 hours) until they are crispy. the kids LOVE them. They also love the dehydrated apples. I put sugar and cinnamon on them. They taste a lot like fruit snacks, except healthier! And also, your apples were done in one day? It usually takes mine at least 2 days to dry. Were they still a little moist inside? if you're not planning on eating them up right away, you're going to want to make sure they are completely dried out before storing them.
Thanks for the shout out, Sarah! I'll be back to posting as soon as my little stinker is sleeping longer at night! Love you!

Cindy said...

I like to drain a few cans of pineapple rings, they dry and taste just like candy. Then I use the pineapple juice to dip my apples. Gives them a little more flavor and the cinnamon sugar really sticks!
My 6 children are all grown, they loved helping with this project. It is magical.

annies home said...

I am loving apple season and this recipe sounds delicious love that they are dried and thus are easy to take where ever one goes thanks for sharing come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Carmen said...

MMMM...this really brings FALL into the kitchen even if the weather outside is still 102!! Thanks for this...I guess I can pretend it's FALL outside.

Would love it if you would link this up to our Rockin' link party going on now at RoCa and Company. Here is the link: http://rocaandcompany.blogspot.com/2011/09/welcome-fall-and-you-rock-2.html Come and show off what you got. Hope to see you there...

Remember...YOU ROCK!!

Carmen @
RoCa and Company
www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com

Jenni R. said...

They look amazing! I'm going to see if there's a way to do this without a dehydrator since I don't know that I could get one here.

Penny said...

You are funny! Your apples look great! I don't have a dehydrator yet..it's on my list! Thanks for sharing! Off to check out the rest of your blog!

VintageMom said...

Yum! Healthy and perfect for fall :) Would you be interested in linking up to my lunchbox ideas blog carnival? You can find it here: http://allergyfreecookery.blogspot.com/2011/09/allergy-friendly-lunchbox-love-3-and.html.

Thanks!
Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

These look great & made me wish I had a dehydrator! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Thanks for the recipe! These can be kind of expensive at the store, but my son loves them so this will be a hit!

PS I have a $50 cash giveaway going on at my blog till Monday evening. Come by when you get a chance! :)