Saturday, July 9, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mister!

My husband.  He's awesome.  He is a student and works really, really hard.  I'm so proud of him and soooooo in love with him.

He had a birthday recently and I really wanted to give him something special.  I want him to always know how much I love him.  I am trying to decorate our bedroom with the theme of love, so my idea was to make something to hang on the wall in our room.

First, I took an 11 x 13 canvas and painted it with an ecru paint.
See, I put a white paper next to it so you could see the difference in color.  =)

Next, I pulled out my trusty Cricut and cut out the word "forever" from a strip of contact paper.
Once the base coat of paint had dried, I peeled off the back of the paper and stuck the word (now something of a reverse stencil) on the canvas.

Then I painted the canvas in graduated blues.  I tried to just let my creativity flow when it came to painting the canvas.  I didn't really have anything planned, but I like how it turned out.  

Once the blues had dried, I peeled up the contact paper.  Then I forgot to take a picture of the end result.  (Seriously, I set the picture up and then walked away to help my kids with something.  I completely forgot what I was doing!  sorry.)

But, I did get a picture of the end result.  

For the "I love you" I watered down some glue, colored it with a smidge of yellow paint, and dipped yarn in that.  I spelled out the letters with the yarn (which was actually much messier than I anticipated!).  I sprayed the whole thing with a sealant to finish it up.

Here's the end product:

In between all the drying times, I put together a set of 12 dates, one for each month.  

Each is presented with a little poem (kind of), a title to give him some sort of clue as to what we'll be doing, and a list of supplies for me.  All he has to do is pick a day each month and we have a date all set up.

Because he is so busy, all of these dates are stay-at-home dates, but I'm really excited about them.  I'll definitely be sharing our plans with you!

Next was his "cake."

To say he is a lover of Oreos is a gross understatement.  The man can eat a package of Oreos in about 20 minutes!  It's a sight to see.  

I had seen this idea on Pinterest (let me know if you want an invite, I've got 4 or 5 I can send out) and I knew it would be perfect for him.  

The original uses about 20 packages of Oreos, I only used 3, so mine isn't as impressive...
...but it served its purpose just the same!

O was careful to add her own "cakes" to the top, because she loves her Daddy.

It was a good day.  Isn't he handsome?
I love you, Mister!

I'm linking this project up to these parties.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Mrs. Sassy Crafter (Fabi) said...

What a cute and original idea!!!! Love it =)

Erin said...

my mister's birthday's coming too! These are great ideas. I kind of wish you would have shared what you are doing for the date nights, so I could copy...sigh...I guess that means I'll have to think of things on my own. Still, thanks for getting the juices flowing!

Luanne Hardy said...

You are so creative. I just take Michael out to dinner and buy him something. How lame is that? I need to start sucking out your creativity. Well, I would want you to keep yours, so I won't suck all of it.

Lana Hardy said...

This is such a cure project!! LOVE IT!! Thanks for sharing!

http://hardy-life.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

this looks so fun!!! thanks for linkin with "Tell me Tuesday"
xo
ash

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

awwwwwwwww =) I almost melted! so flipping sweet! I loooove the technique you used! Super envious of your cricut cutter ;)

xoxo
jenn @ peas and crayons